Monday, June 23, 2008

Houston Public Library Reopening

Have you seen the copy of the calendar of events for the grand re-opening of the Houston Public Library? I am appalled! The one person on the cover is dressed to look like a Goth, complete with three of the five major body modifications including tattoo (large and in color), mouth piercing, earlobe stretching. I guess they are attempting to reach a young audience; however, what kind of a message does this send?!? Afterall, Houston is an ethnically diverse community, so why don't they include people of Asian, African, young, old, people with disabilities to show that Houston Public Library reaches out to ALL of its citizens? I just cannot believe that the powers that be let this get by them.

2 comments:

Mrs. Meuse said...

Are you appalled that the person has tattoos and piercings or that the photograph does not reflect our diversity? I agree that publications should reach out to all within the community, but I'm wondering: Would you have a problem with it if the person were "Asian, African, young, old, [a person] with disabilities" AND tattooed?

theailurophile said...

Remember that the relatively new director of the public library system who approved this (I'm thinking) is the same one who decided to close a full service library in SW Houston and reopen it as a bookstop.
Her justification was that "people are using computers more to browse for books". Yeah, my students are really more likely to look for a book they've never seen or heard of on the computer. The thinking of this new library director amazes me.