Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thing #19

What a great website. I'm so glad to know about it.

I scrolled through all the options and began with TRAVEL. Looking at Farecast and Kayak they look pretty much the same to me, especially compared to Expedia. I did like Farecast's feature of good travel deals; however, when I looked at them they had no flights leaving from Houston in the near future, so that wasn't helpful.

Under SOCIAL I looked at sphinn and searched for images of celebrities. The photos are pretty much taken and posted by amateurs, so it was interesting for me to see real, everyday people who were accommodated by movie stars (and celebrities who were not accommodating).

Under PHOTOS flickr was quite good, including 924 beautiful photos of Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville, KY. (If you read Sue Grafton's Alphabet Murders she talks of Cave Hill, as she lives in Louisville.)

Under PHILANTHROPY I was surprised that Care2 is blocked by SBISD.

Under HEALTH Revolution Health, I looked up information on amaranth which is a healthy, protein-laden grain that my son in law is researching for his PhD in Tropical Agriculture, and they had good info.

Under FOOD I watched an informative video in imcooked of B. Smith making a healthy, Italian meal, and I got hungry and had to eat my lunch.
I was so glad to find urbanspoon houston which is special, because it gives current reviews of local restaurants, most from the Houston Chronicle, including Thyme Table Cafe which is a new favorite of mine.

I finally got to BOOKS and Biblio allows the user to search by ISBN which can be very useful when looking for a specific book. It has a clean format, but not any reviews on several of this year's Bluebonnet Books which was disappointing. I think I'll stick with Amazon for the majority of my searches.

2 comments:

Ann Williams said...

Hi--
I love your website and comments. I have really enjoyed these activities this summer--so glad I have had the chance to find out so many new things about the web--like you, however, I find that some things, like Amazon, are preferable to new places I have seen on the web.

Jane said...

Sounds like we have similar interests. I will have to check out the Cave Hill Cemetetery photos. I'll also have to check out Farecast's travle deals. Thanks.